Friday, October 5, 2007

NYC Trifecta

photo copyright: victoryachasegoestotherapy.blogspot.com
camera used: Casio ex-s500 (red)

I took this photo about a year ago. The day was drizzly damp but cool. I always liked this photo because it is total new york. First, there is the Papaya King, a purely NYC entity where, if one was to eat hot dogs, one could get them for about 2 for a dollar.

Next, we have the ubiquitous yellow cab. They are everywhere, even in the news lately as they threaten to strike over GPS placement in their cabs. I rode in a cab that had GPS before - and they still went in the completely opposite direction. I think it just creates a false sense of security to have those types of systems around, as people become reliant on them and allow the erroneous information of the unit to overtake common sense.

Finally, we have the steam being released. Those orange and white cylinders are all over the city, releasing pent up steam lest it explode (as it did a while ago near work. The streets are finally closer to normal there). It makes me think of this island of Manhattan as a giant whale and these are all the blowholes. Sometimes you can feel the streets breathing as you walk down them.

Oh, and the sign on the cab advertises Avenue Q - a great play on Broadway I was lucky enough to see with the original cast. If you haven't heard of it - think South Park meets Sesame Street. A little bit raunchy, definately not for kids (one of the characters is Sally the Slut) but a lot of laughs to be had.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That photo is a winner! Perfectly captures a New York moment.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

This is a fabulous photo, it completely captures the essence of NYC. I love that you've captured the blur of the cab whizzing by and the steam is rising from the street. I love it. Fish

david mcmahon said...

Perfect, Victorya....

Victorya said...

Thanks! It's definately a fave of mine, long has been. I really think it's such the essence, as you said Fish.

Amel said...

Oohhh...INTERESTING info, Vic!!!! I've never been to New York but I've read and heard plenty to know that the pic does fit whatever it is I've read or heard about New York. :-))))

Anonymous said...

Papayaking - I remember that from Seinfeld. Kramer is waiting outside of the movie theater and is dying for the hot dog across the street.

One of these days I will visit NYC. Excellent pic Vic.

Anonymous said...

I love this.

mrsnesbitt said...

I have never been to America and this photo seemed so far away from the area we live in. It seems to be the true image of NYC by the comments left here.

In some ways we are far apart, yet in otherways we are closer..like reading a blog and wanting to reach out when somebody is having a bad day.

D

Victorya said...

cherised - I love giving people tours, but of the places I like - like Cloisters where it's quiet :) Though I do know where Tom's is, another seinfeld fave.

Jessica - glad you like it!

Mrs. Nesbit!! So good to see you here. Yes, this is the New York as it is, at least one side of it :) Must be so different from the idyllic water I see in your pictures