Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Prince of Egypt


After listening to the CD so many times (I still can’t believe it was remaindered to the dollar store) I finally splurged and got the DVD. Definitely amazing, the animation is absolutely stunning.

To those that are unfamiliar – this is a Dreamworks animated telling of the story of Moses – at least until after the sea parts and he brings his people out of the Pharaoh’s reach.

What I think they did really well was the personal dilemma. I can’t imagine what it must have been like to live in a castle and then realize you were born a slave that, to the family you are raised in, is not even human. Can you also imagine waking up one day and finding out that your purpose is clearly delineated – but involves giving up everything you’ve known and worse, fighting against it to lead others to freedom? To one day realize that all you have is worthless when others have no hope of ever attaining it.

But then I realized, it’s not just Moses. Throughout history we have people who realized, despite the threat to safety, they had to lead others against the dominating classes and fight, not just for freedom, but the right to be seen as human beings. What is it that allows some eyes to be open and so many to remain closed, that allows some people to stand up while others avert their eyes?

I think the film was empathetic to the whole human experience inherent in the tale. There is so much pain in the Old Testament. The relationship between Moses and Ramses was also done well, on a human level. How could Ramses not be upset that his brother turned his back on everything he’d known?

The best part was the parting of the Red Sea. The animation was just astounding (especially with the whale swimming in the columns of water) and with the swell of perfectly placed music I couldn’t help but be choked up.

And of course, it is always great to listen to Brian Stokes Mitchell. He has such an amazing voice.

All-in-all a great thought-provoking film.

4 comments:

Amel said...

Ah, I never thought about this movie this way. Glad you've showed me how you view it, so now I begin to appreciate it even more. Too bad I don't remember the details. :-(((

Tough questions, Vic. Hmmm...I guess in one generation there'll always be someone who's inspired by some plight or suffering and then take action.

Why? Hmmm...I'm not sure. Maybe it has something to do with their personalities? They're born leaders or risk-takers (they have those traits ingrained in them better than other people with other personalities do).

Others may be born as followers of those leaders since they don't dare to pave the way, but they are good followers. After all, not everybody's born as leaders, I think.

Ah...I'm just rambling here. It's WONDERFUL to see this movie from your refreshing point of view, Vic! ;-D

Victorya said...

Thanks Amel! I loved that film, and at times tend to think on a familial level, so that's what struck me most - the family dynamic. Then it had me thinking of Martin Luther King Jr. and others who stood up against the norm, probably knowing that it would mean trouble and possibly an early death. And it made me wonder, as I always do, why? how?

And what strength these people must have to do such things.

Amel said...

Yeah, those people are really incredible and strong. I'm glad that the world has people like that. We all need those kinds of people in every generation, don't you think so? ;-D

Lss said...

love your observations on this movie.